Moving homes is a chore, irrespective of whether you are moving homes in the same town, state, or elsewhere Relocating entails a lot of changes to your personal and vehicle-related documentation, and you have to get your vehicle registration details, driver license and car insurance policy updated as well. Here are a few tips to keep things smooth and fuss-free.
- Scope of car insurance: Let us assume that you have a third-party policy but you are relocating to a place that is prone to vehicle theft or natural disasters. In such a case, you are strongly advised to get your policy updated from a third-party plan to a comprehensive policy, which provides you with adequate cover for any eventuality.
- Your new address and communication details: Update your address and communication details with the insurance company promptly. If the address proof that you provide and the address mentioned in your insurance policy do not match, your claim may be rejected. Further, if you do not keep your communication details up-to-date with the insurance company, you may miss out on any important communication from their side which may impact your policy cover.
- No Claims Bonus: You can carry forward the no-claim bonus while relocating to a different city. Further when you relocate, if you plan to buy a new vehicle or if you plan to buy car insurance online at the time of policy renewal, the same discount can also be carried forward to your new policy.
- Check for cashless garage network: When you move to a new city, you will have to find all the common service providers again, including garages and service centers. It would be better if you scout for a cashless garage network recommended by your insurance company in your new city. Research the setup online and talk to people around you, who have got their vehicle serviced or repaired at those garages, to get an idea of their services.
- Avoid any gap in insurance policies: While relocating or while buying a new policy, make sure that there is no gap in insurance policies. Always check the end date of the previous policy and beginning date of the new policy. The latter must immediately proceed after the former without even a gap of a day.
- Extra premium upon relocation: In some cases, the insurance company may require you to pay an extra premium if you are relocating to a zone with higher premium charges. The customer care executives of the insurance company will inform you about any change in the premium amount.
Common tips on insurance policy update process
Once you are ready to update your insurance policy, you have to call up the insurance company customer care and they will guide you regarding the process to update your car insurance. Generally, you will be required to submit a copy of your policy, new vehicle registration certificate and new address proof. Most insurance companies will allow you to do this process over email or through their customer service portal; however, you should be ready to visit their office if needed. Once updated, a new policy will be issued to you.
Finally, get the process done as promptly as possible because if you fail to do so, your policy will become invalid and your vehicle will be considered uninsured for challan and claim purposes. Similarly, the next time you buy car insurance online, ensure that policy comes with your new address and not the old one. Contact your insurer if old address is shown in records.